Monday, September 29, 2008

It's Banned Book Week



What are you reading this week? I picked this up 2 weeks ago and still haven't finished it. But not because I don't like it or find it tedious-I just haven't had the time!

Yeah-it's sci-fi. But hear me out. It's one of those sci-fi books that you can relate to as not too far out there.

I breezed through the author's introduction on the stationary bike at the gym ( I'm reading an edition printed in 1997 with an author's note from 1991)-and found it EXTREMELY timely. Allot of references to war, and Vietnam and the first Gulf War.

As I'm reading-I'm thinking of our current pickle in the Middle East-and of a friend who was deployed just last month for his 2nd tour of duty in Iraq.


So, perhaps sci-fi is not your cup of tea?

Here are some suggestions from Jezebel.com and the American Library Association for reading.
Now get out there and start reading in public-support Banned Book Week!

75 Books Every Woman Should Read
http://jezebel.com/5052468/75-books-every-woman-should-read
Banned Book Week runs September 27th to October 4th
http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/oif/archive/bannedbooksweek73008archive.cfm

Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Did you know "Where's Waldo?" is on the banned book list??? WTF?!

JR ZEE GURL said...

Holy MO MO Batman!